Types of Universe
- Universe to which other universes are linked.
- Represents a reusable library of components.
- Can be a kernel or master universe depending on the way the core universe components are used in the derived universe.
- Contains a link to the core universe
- Link allows the universe to share the common components
Kernel Universe Approach
- If the linked universe is a kernel universe, then components can be added to the derived universe.
- Any changes made to the kernel universe are automatically reflected in all the derived universes
Master Universe Approach
- If the linked universe is a master universe then the derived universe contains all the components of the core universe.
- No new classes and objects are not added to the derived universe but are hidden according to the user needs.
- The components visible in the universe are always a subset of the master universe.
- Any changes made to the kernel universe are automatically reflected in all the derived universes.
Component Universe Approach
- Merging two or more universe into one universe.
Below a new universe is made by merging universe 1 and universe 2.
Advantages of Linked Universe
- Reduced development and maintenance time as any changes made to the core universe are propagated to the derived universe.
- Centralize often used components in core universe, and include them in all the new universes.
- Facilitate specialization by splitting the responsibility between database administrator for core universe and specialized universe for more functional universe.
Points to remember-Linked Universe
- Linked universes share the same data account.
- Linked universe must be in the same repository.
- Core universe must be exported and re-imported at least once.
- You have the authorization of linking.
- Only one level linking is allowed.
- The two universe structures must allow joins to be created between a table in one universe to a table in another universe to avoid Cartesian products.
- Contexts must be redetected.
Steps to create a Linked universe
We have two universe say Link_SMS and Link_Voice
- Step 1: Link_SMS universe
- Step 2: Link_Voice universe
- Step 3: Edit>Links…>Add Link..>OK
- Step 4: After Linking the Core universe components appear dimmed in the derived universe.
- Step 5: Save the derived universe and export both the core and the derived universe to the same repository.